Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Y--Peace

See, it looks like a Y

As in trying to keep the peace after a particularly nasty round of Canasta. Joe may have been tripling my score. He might have called me a poor loser. I possibly called him an excessive celebrator. I may have been genuinely mad. 

I thought about adding it to our list of banned games (unfortunately that list is growing), but couldn't do that to my favorite game. And I thought Joe and I should take this issue in our marriage head on. So before our next round of Canasta a few nights later, I decided we needed to read a little book together. I read the Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed out loud. 

You can read my favorite page of this book, and the one I thought most fitting for me and Joe.


Brother Bear and his friends get so annoyed with Sister Bear they decide to not play with her anymore and build an all boys club. Sister realizes the errors of her ways (and builds a club house of her own--complete with tin can phones) and apologizes to Brother Bear and the boy and girl cubs all play happily together.

You can see in this next picture how Joe felt about all of this.

(Joe's middle finger, my thumb)

But! We had a very successful round of Canasta. Consider our home a place of peace...even on Canasta night. 

8 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a well-written post!

Dirty Marbles did it to us. Your dad and I even bought special dice on a trip (me an itty, bitty one and him a fancier-than-normal one) to play with. And then. . . and then. . . that excessive celebration (and cheating) killed it. Your dad needed a more mature wife that would read the Bernstein Bears instead of just building her own clubhouse.

(I don't think that is how Joe felt about it. I see two fingers, albeit one is slightly curved, in the form of a V. I think he's still claiming VICTORY.)

Grace said...

I hate losing bad in games! I get angry too. However, I kicked Abe's butt pretty good the other night at hand and foot. I was amazed and learned a great lesson when he was very calm and still acted like he had a good time playing even though he lost so bad. Makes me want to not throw little fits next time he beats me bad!

Cali said...

Last night I beat Ray in both games of Canasta... I shook his hand and told him he was a worthy opponent and that I thought with some more practice he could be as good as me...

When Ray reads this, I think he'll be borrowing your book.

However, Sunday night I lost to him twice, and I was a very gracious loser.

I think it is even more funny because you remembered this part of the book so you could read it to Joe. It must have affected you to the core all those years ago that you read it.

Michelle said...

I just can't get frustrated in games anymore. Ty ALWAYS wins. I've just come to accept it.

Unknown said...

Oh Bernstein Bears, where would we be without those books? So many life lessons taught in a way that only bears can teach.

I hope you win next time :)

Courtney said...

did we talk about this book?? I know that I was just discussing this very thing with someone! funny. Glad you pointed it out to Joe, he needs it ;)

Michelle said...

My family calls it Ca"nasty" for a reason...

Charlotte said...

01. I laughed out loud at this post, especially at Joe's feelings toward the Berenstein Bears reading.

02. I also laughed out at your comment on my post. I think you've heard right--baby laundry will be a bitch. There's no other word for it.

You're delightful.